Comment are off
Winter has arrived and don’t we all know it! With the average daily temperature in Geelong and along the Surf Coast around 10 degrees, our workplaces have the heaters going all day and our energy costs are huge. So let me tell you some great ways to keep your office warm this Winter.
- Set Your Heater Thermostat – Some people believe that if you turn your heater up to a very high temperature, that the room will heat faster, but this is not the case. Setting the thermostat too high when it is cold, will increase your electricity bill dramatically, but still take your heater the same amount of time to get to that temperature. It is ideal to set your thermostat to around 22 degrees to provide a comfortable level of warmth for everyone in your office.
- Set Your Heater Timer – Leaving your heater on all day may seem like a great idea, but not when your electricity bill arrives. Set your timer to come on half an hour before arriving to work and you will still arrive to a warm building.
- Seal Leaks and Draughts – Around your office you have lots of little areas where warmth can escape, especially under doors and around window sills. These cracks and gaps can provide up to 20% of your heating loss, so it’s definitely worth going around and fixing them.
- Insulation – By adding insulation to your commercial building, can reduce energy costs by up to 35%. Insulation protects your office and maintains warmth. The Australian Government has great information about tips on installing insulation, please visit www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/insulation-installation.
- Wear Warmer Clothes – Sitting right in front of your heater wearing a t-shirt or shorts is not a great money saver. It’s a lot more effective by adding a layer of clothing and turning down your heater thermostat to save dollars.
- Close Curtains and Blinds – During winter months keep your blinds and curtains closed as much as you can. You can tell how cold it is by touching the glass on your windows. If the window feels cold, close your blinds and curtains, this will help keep the warmth in.
- Keep Doors Closed – This seems like such a simple idea, but you would be surprised how many people don’t do this. By keeping doors closed, increases the direct warmth in the room/s you are using.
- Clear The Area – By moving furniture away from heating units, allows you to directly receive your heater’s warmth, instead of the arm of a couch, or the leg of a chair. Think about this when setting up your office, maintaining clear pathways in front of your heater, will provide great benefits to you, your clients and colleagues.
- Winter Fan Mode – Most fans have a Winter and Summer mode. During Winter when your fan is on, please turn your fan setting on to winter mode, this will then rotate the blades anti-clockwise to push the warm air downwards and circulate the air evenly.
- Heater Maintenance – We rely on our commercial heaters so much, especially during winter, so please remember to service your heater at least every 2 years. At Mako Air, we service both commercial and residential heaters, so please call us on 0490 333 461.
I hope you find these heating tips of great benefit. Not only can they keep you and your work mates warm, but they can also reduce your energy costs and therefore save you money!