You may have recently heard on the news, radio or social media lots of different reports about carbon monoxide poisoning and some heaters being at a higher risk of releasing this potentially deadly gas. At Mako Air some of our customers have also been asking us what is carbon monoxide and how it can be avoided, so we would like to share some information about carbon monoxide with you.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and highly poisonous gas that can be produced in faulty heaters, unserviced heaters, or in areas where there is inadequate ventilation. Due to carbon monoxide having no colour, no taste and no smell, it has sometimes been called the “silent killer”.
Heaters and Carbon Monoxide
Any appliance that uses gas, oil, kerosene or wood can produce carbon monoxide. Although heaters that have been installed incorrectly and/or have not been serviced regularly and/or are used in rooms with inadequate ventilation, can emit higher levels of carbon monoxide.
Do Electric Heaters Release Carbon Monoxide?
In general electric heaters do not release carbon monoxide. Although if electric heaters are unclean and have dust on the elements, this can then burn smoke which can produce carbon monoxide, but you would generally smell the dust burning if this was the case.
What are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in your bloodstream. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include nausea, dizziness, fatigue, headaches, irregular breathing, confusion, blurred vision or loss of consciousness.
Protecting Yourself From Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Have your heater installed and maintained by a licensed electrician or gas fitter, such as Mako Air.
- Have you heater serviced regularly as per manufacturer’s recommendation, or at least every two years.
- If your heater shows any signs of not working correctly or any deterioration, please contact us for assistance.
- Consider replacing heaters that are more than 10 years old.
- If you are considering purchasing a second hand heater, have it serviced before using it.
- Use your heater in a well ventilated area.
Energy Safe Victoria Gas Heater Warning
Energy Safe Victoria has recently released a report stating that Vulcan Heritage or Pyrox Heritage gas heaters should not be used until they are tested by a qualified technician, due to carbon monoxide fears. For further information visit the www.esv.gov.au
As mentioned carbon monoxide levels can be reduced by maintaining your heater servicing and using heaters in well ventilated areas. For further information please call us on 0490 333 461.