Well summer has finally arrived in Geelong and the Surf Coast which means we get to spend time a lot more time outdoors. It also means that with rising temperatures our air conditioners are used almost every day.
At Mako Air we would like to share with you some helpful tips about how you can maximise your air conditioning to make it work more efficiently for you and save energy costs in your home.
1. Reduce the Heat Inside – By reducing the heat inside you can lower the temperature, which means your air conditioner doesn’t have to work as hard. By closing blinds, curtains and external shutters, can block out heat and keep rooms cooler.
2. Maintain Air Flow – Whether you are installing a new air conditioner or have one already, please make sure there is nothing blocking the vents. Check that pot plants, photo frames, vases or any other objects are kept clear of the flow of air. When air conditioner fans are blocked, they stay on longer to reach the desired temperature.
3. Minimise Room Moisture – Steam from the shower and dishwasher, or hot air from clothes dryers all can add moisture into the room, which can effect the thermostat control in your air conditioner. It is ideal to minimise moisture when your are using your air conditioner.
4. Use Fans – Ceiling fans are a fantastic way of circulating air flow and helping your air conditioner work more efficiently. Remember to switch your fan to “Summer Mode” during the summer months, this will allow air to circulate down over your skin to keep you cooler.
5. Block Out Drafts – It’s important to make certain your home is free from drafts around window sills, under doors, or from open fire places etc. Seal drafts to prevent cool air escaping. You can also close doors and windows when using your air conditioner, this will help maintain the cool temperature in the room.
6. Insulate Your Home – By adding insulation in your roof, walls and floors can help reduce the exchange of cold air throughout your home. Insulation prevents cool air escaping, so your room stays cooler and therefore can reduce the amount of energy needed to cool your home.
7. Use Thermostats Correctly – By setting your air conditioner thermostat correctly will mean your room is always kept at a comfortable temperature. An ideal cooling temperature is between 23 to 25 degrees. Remember each degree can add up to a 5% cost to your energy bill.
8. Use Air Conditioner Timers – Timers are a wonderful energy saver. If you set your air conditioner to an hour before you come home, then your home will be nice and cool when you arrive. You can also set them to turn off later in the evening so your air conditioner doesn’t run all night.
9. Clean Air Conditioner Filters – During peak usage we recommend your clean your air filters every month. You can easily do this yourself, please refer to your air conditioner manual to do this.
10. Professional Servicing – All air conditioners should be serviced by professionals at least every year. This will ensure your air conditioning system is kept working at an optimum level.
Our team at Mako Air hope these tips help save you energy this summer. If you require any further information or air conditioner servicing, then please call us on 0490 333 461.