Butchery is one of the world’s oldest and respected professions. Dating back to the domestication of livestock, butchers formed guilds in England as far as 1272 and over the years became the cornerstone of every neighbourhood shopping strip.
In more recent times, butchers have faced challenges of large supermarket chains selling meat produce at low costs, but with people becoming more aware of what they eat and wanting locally sourced foods, the local butcher is gaining popularity once again.
In Geelong and along the Surf Coast, we are fortunate to have a wide range of Butcher Shops to choose from. So if you’re wanting personal service and a local expert who can recommend the right meat cuts, a range of recipes and the right wine to accompany your meal, then look no further!
- Butcher Anglesea – Stabb Meats at 117 Great Ocean Road is a family business well known for their award winning sausages. Servicing the Anglesea community for more than 30 years, they have seen a huge amount of changes, but have stayed in the industry for so long by providing quality value added produce.
- Butcher Torquay – Surf Coast Quality Meats in the busy surfside town of Torquay, is popular with the locals and tourists. In the main shopping area at 30A Gilbert Street, they offer a range of specialty beef, lamb, chicken and pork and pride themself on their motto “New school cuts, with old school service!”
- Butcher Geelong – A Cut Above is a Geelong award winning family butcher situated within the Corio Village Shopping Centre. Recently their home made hamburgers won “Best Burger” at the Australian Meat Industry Awards, so we know they must be great! A Cut Above also have online ordering and free delivery over $50, check it out at www.acutabovefamilybutcher.com.au
- Butcher Belmont – If you love a snag on the BBQ, then you can’t go past Belmont Finest Meats and Poultry Butcher at 3/65 High Street Belmont. Winning first prize in the Traditional Sausage category at last years Australian Meat Industry Awards, you know they will be delicious. Selling a wide range of beef produce and marinated meats, they have many choices to suit your needs.
- Butcher Ocean Grove – Ocean Grove Butcher “Pretty’s Prime Cuts” pride themself on sourcing the finest quality meats from Australian Pastures. With award winning low fat gourmet sausages being their speciality and offering a 100% money back guarantee on quality, they demand nothing but the best service they can provide.
When you buy from a butcher, you know that you are supporting a local business, one that has most likely been in the family for generations. Butchers are experts in the meat industry and it’s great that you can receive personal service, wonderful advice and cut to order requests. Although some people buy in supermarkets for convenience, why not give your local butcher a try, they need your support!
Mako Air have been providing commercial heating and cooling systems and commercial refrigeration to Butcher Shops around Geelong and the Surf Coast for more than 15 years. Give Heath a call on 0490 333 461 for all your installation and servicing needs.