For more than one hundred years we have been blessed with refrigeration. Almost all homes in Australia have one of these valuable appliances and with over 800,000 fridges sold annually in Australia, we can be reassured of how important it is in our lives.
So we thought we would share with you some fun and interesting facts about refrigerators that you may not have known.
- Your refrigerator door is one of the most opened doors in your home.
- One of the most expensive fridges on the market is an Italian brand called Meneghini. Their fridge model “La Cambusa” can set you back more than $45,000 and comes with features such as brass handles, a steam oven and even a Miele coffee system for coffee lovers.
- More than 75% of fridges sold in Australia are stainless steel, so can we still use the term “White goods?’
- The world’s largest refrigeration unit is the “Hadron Collider” which is an amazing 27 kilometres long and uses 9300 magnets and over 10,000 tonnes of liquid nitrogen for cooling.
- Louise Greenfarb from Nevada USA holds the Guinness Book Of Records for the most refrigerator magnets, with more than 45,000 magnets. Louise has been collecting since the 1970’s and has most of them displayed around her home and in a museum in Las Vegas.
- Would you believe in the USA, November 15th is celebrated yearly as “National Clean Out Your Refrigerator Day?” Why haven’t we thought of this in Australia? We all need a clean your fridge day, or it would never get done!
- Have you ever wondered why we spell refrigerator without a “d”, but we decided to add a “d” when we spell the word fridge? No wonder the English language is so difficult!
- In Pennsylvania it is illegal to sleep outdoors on top of a fridge. Not sure why you would want to, but always good to know.
- Albert Einstein is reported as the co-inventor of the refrigerator, so E=mc2 is not his only genius work.
- Thor Bjornsson who is classed as the World Strongest Man recently broke the world record for carrying 2 fridges a distance of 20 metres in the fastest time of 19.6 seconds.
So now you know these fun facts, the next time your come home or go to the office and open your refrigerator door, you can appreciate even more how important it is.
Heath at MakoAir has been servicing commercial fridges, freezer rooms and cool rooms for more than 15 years, please call him on 0490333461 for all your servicing and maintenance needs.